SEARCH THIS SITE
- PARENT INFORMATION
- CHILDCARE PROVIDERS
What to look for on your first visit to a childcare facility.
- Is it a welcoming environment? Can you visit any time?
- How are the staff? Is there good interaction between staff and children? Do the staff listen to the children, and treat them with respect?
- Do the children look happy and relaxed?
- Is there an outdoor play area?
- Are the premises clean, bright and well ventilated?
- Ask about sleeping arrangements. Are there assigned cots / sheets / sleeping mats?
- Have a look at the equipment and toys on offer. Are they age appropriate, clean and in good condition?
- Ask about care plans and routines, are they flexible? Have a look to see if they are displayed on the walls. What will your child be doing during the day?
- Ask to see the toilets and nappy changing areas. Are they clean, tidy and well ventilated, and are the relevant procedures displayed on the wall?
- Have a look to see if the weekly menu is displayed.
- What qualifications do the staff hold?
- What are their policies if your child has an accident or becomes ill?
* Have a chat with the staff in the relevant room that your child will attend, and feel free to ask any questions you have, and see how you feel. Do you feel comfortable?